We offer the following services to healthcare providers and related organizations. Let's discuss your specific challenges and plan how best to solve them.
- Develop strategic plan for new programs or service lines
- Develop strategies to course correct to better align operations to your overall strategic plan
- Develop an overall plan to align your electronic health record to your strategic plan. This often involves vision, goals, change management, communication and engagement
- Developed a new bariatrics service line for a community hospital.
- Designed an innovated process for rapidly rolling out a comprehensive EHR to multiple hospitals over months rather than years.
- Developed and guided implementation of a "road map" to help a cancer center implement and leverage their EHR.
- Assess leadership culture and help organizations build on their strengths and better lead change
- Establish champions for change leadership to divide and conquer multiple dimensions of change
- Create process for leading change through major projects or initiatives
- Helped over 40 hospitals assess leadership culture and identify opportunities for improved success with EHR adoption.
- Helped leadership teams improve focus on accountability.
- Helped determine most effective members of leadership team
Innovative Solutions to Enhance your EHR
- Identify opportunities to incorporate patient-reported outcomes directly into the Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Identify and design new tools to enhance physicians'/providers'/clinicians' experience within the EHR
- Assess third-party clinical applications for appropriateness and capabilities to solve defined problems
- Read more on how to obtain your specific post-discharge outcomes data to better avoid readmission penalties and measure your interventions.
- Envisioned and helped develop tools and processes to capture national hospital quality measures from within the workflow of a major EMR.
- Used unique tools to reduce alert fatigue.
- Helped EMR vendor enhance numerous tools to improve workflow
- Piloted and advocated use of software to better manage intravenous insulin and reduce adverse events
Governance Models for your Major Initiatives
- Create governance models for major projects, programs and initiatives
- Create change control board
- Helped an executive team move from an ineffective consensus-driven model of decision-making to a more defined and streamlined model.
- Helped a health system develop and implement an effective change control process
- Helped an organization develop a more mature steering and governance model over an EHR initiative that was then successfully replicated across multiple areas of operations
- Focus your Electronic Health Record (EHR) to support your strategic business plan
- Assess your current state of EHR deployment and identify gaps that are impeding progress with adoption/benefits realization
- Identify opportunities to better align your EHR with operational initiatives
- Designed an effective multi-year, multi-hospital strategy for rapid deployment of CPOE with high levels of adoption including HIMSS EMR Adoption to Stage 6 and 7
- Developed a progressive implementation plan to take an academic health system from low levels of EHR adoption to inpatient and ambulatory HIMSS Level 6, aligning the EHR for a major strategic initiative
- Provided strategic input for a children's hospital migrating their EHR to a different platform.
Patient Safety Initiatives
- Help organizations address specific patient safety issues and devise and implement comprehensive solutions from governance through implementation and monitoring
- Develop governance model for clinical decision support (CDS) deployment
- Implement "best practice" governance and design for CDS alerts and analytics
- Has envisioned and helped develop embedded clinical decision support models to create actionable alerts at the bedside while reducing nuisance alerts
- Helped EHR vendor developed advanced tools around reducing false negative medication alerts
- Worked with a pharmacy informaticist to reduce alerts from 22/100 medication orders to 7/100 of which 6/7 alerts changed prescribers' ordering behavior
- Led development of a CDS dashboard for monitoring and refinement of rules and alerts
Optimization of Physician Workflow
- Analyze and devise improved staffing models to improve physician efficiency
- Identify and reduce bottlenecks that result in patient delays and extend physician time in office
- Reduce inpatient rounding times
- Reduced time in office by 25% through better utilization of EHR
- Reduced turnaround time of physician documentation through more effective workflows
- Adapted clinic schedules to improve patient throughput and reduce wait times
- Created capacity within office schedule to handle daily add-ons without creating longer work hours or delays
Designs for Clinical Decision Support
- Develop methodology for design, governance and deployment of clinical decision support (CDS)
- Develop foundation on which predicative analytics can guide decision-making
- Refine CDS alerts to improve rate of "true positives" and reduce "nuisance alerts"
- Developed governance model and process to reduce nuisance alerts by over 90% and pharmacist callbacks by 95%
- Developed alert dashboard to detect when alerts become ineffective due to system or practice changes
Clinical Business Intelligence Planning
- Move organization from last quarter's analysis to near-real time and real-time clinical business intelligence (CBI)
- Move from data-rich and information-poor paradigm to use of actionable clinical information to benefit both operational and strategic initiatives
- Create strategy for CBI
- Helped to automate capture of inpatient and outpatient quality measures leading to clinical dashboards to track daily, monthly and annual performance across multiple regions and hospitals within a large health system
- Leveraged incoming call volume to devise innovative practices to reduce interruptions to clinical office staff and improve patient satisfaction
- Created automated model to allow family practice residents to maximize specialty clinical rotations without sacrificing their own clinic experiences
Mentoring Project Leaders
- Mentoring physician champions to develop skills to lead organizational initiatives
- Developing physicians for leadership positions such as CMO, CMIO or Medical Director
- Overseeing project managers to tackle large strategic projects
- Have mentored several physicians to move into leadership roles in both hospital and other healthcare industries
- Helped develop and support project managers through large initiatives beyond their prior experiences
- Helped physicians move from clinical practices into administrative leadership roles
Benefits Realization from IT Investments
- Develop processes to better leverage you clinical information systems to improve cash flow and productivity
- Leverage information systems to develop more transparency of processes for greater efficiency and effectiveness
- Assess ancillary systems that may be preventing better integration for the benefit of patient flow and staff efficiency
- Assessed and prevented potential software purchases that would have have been unsuccessful in meeting business and clinical needs
- Assessed and piloted insulin management system that greatly reduced hypoglycemic events and improved effectiveness
- Identified physician office workflow that reduced documentation time by 50-80%
Leadership Culture Assessments
- Assess leadership culture to identify strengths and weaknesses and create action plans to improve success with projects and initiatives
- Identify leadership blind spots that may negatively impact organizational successes
- Assess and recommend models to improve the climate for organizational leadership
- LEARN MORE
- Has assessed over 40 leadership teams' culture and created action plans to mitigate potential issues during major initiatives and projects
- Have presented nationally on the topics of leadership culture and change